Many people don’t recognize the impact poor communication skills have on life choices.
However, when faced with communication challenges, adults may feel despair about their ability to learn which can result in limited career choices. In addition, they may limit their speech output to avoid embarrassment, have negative interactions with authority figures, or even withdraw from social interactions. Communication challenges can have lifelong effects that can be improved with adult speech-language services.
Comments from adult clients seeking services:
- “I don’t understand why I haven’t gotten a promotion at work,”
- “When I present my dissertation I don’t want to worry about my speech,”
- “I have dyslexia,” says another, “I want to pass my certifying exam.”
- “I’m trying to decide if I should go into emergency medicine or something less demanding because I have trouble with my speech.”
- “I don’t get along with my boss, and I have been told if I don’t improve my ability to get along with co-workers I will be let go.”
What all these clients have in common is the need to improve their speech and language skills. From accent reduction to voice therapy improving speech, language and/or social skills is beneficial .
What are services like?
Adult speech-language services are goal-oriented and time-limited. They can last as few as 2 sessions or for up to year depending on needs, goals, and personal motivation. The initial session involves a formal and/or informal assessment and is used along with client goals to create a comprehensive treatment plan. Each session thereafter includes a discussion of thoughts and attitudes toward speech and language challenges, practice improving targeted behaviors, and regular homework to generalize the new behavior. Similar to building strength and fitness, changing communication behaviors requires regular practice and a commitment to change.
Adult Speech-Language Services at Long on Language include:
- Social skills training and coaching focused on the workplace and personal social situations
- Stuttering remediation
- Verbal expression
- Accent reduction
TedTalks that motivate change…
The Power of Believing You Can Improve– Carol Dweck discusses her research on growth mindset
The Power of Belief -Mindset and Success | Eduardo Briceno – Eduardo’s TedTalk is based on Carol Dweck’s work and is my personal favorite on this subject
The First 20 Hours – “The major barrier to learning is not intellectual but emotional.”