Vocal quality is impacted by good breath support. Have you ever heard someone speak who has short choppy phrasing or like a leaking balloon? Taking an adequate breath before speaking and remembering to breathe regularly will help improve vocal tone and allow increased volume.
What makes a good public speaker?
- Communication Problems: Fighting Back — Did you know that last month was National Poetry Month? An amazing young client of mine is pen pals with this year’s National Youth Poet Laureate. My client also earned an honorable mention for her haiku in this year’s National poetry competition. She does not let communication challenges stop her. Amanda Gorman says, “I’ve been pen-palling [...]
- Aspie’s may Clutter, not just Stutter — “People …. say they can’t understand me. I am fine when I read or make a presentation but when I am talking just regularly people say they don’t know what I’m saying. My parents and friends have suggested that I work on my communication, but I don’t know what that means, says a new client. He [...]
- Speech and Language: Therapy is Play — “SORRY, I win!” Wow, perfect /s/ pronounciation! YEAH! Play is the key to speech and language therapy when working with children and teens on developing new language skills. SORRY for this child the game of SORRY by Hasbro provided him with the motivation to work on the articulation of the /s/. Finally, as he won the game [...]
- The Potential of a “C”: Developing a Growth Mindset — What we think about our ability to learn matters What we think about our ability to learn matters. Believing that we can only learn a fixed amount, or that others can only learn a fixed amount, does not offer anyone the opportunity to grow. Without the belief that we can learn and grow, a “C” [...]
- To change or not to change… — I love foreign accents. The lyrical sounds of different languages are beautiful to hear, but there are times when heavy accents interfere with effective communication. I once took a class and I could not understand the professor. It was hard, and it was difficult for every person in that room. In high pressured business or [...]