Accent Modification 30% Non-Verbal Language 70%

Accent modification

Accent modification improves business and academic success for people for whom English is a second language.

My client was concerned that she was passed over for a much deserved promotion because of her accent.  She said that she often avoided eating lunch with her co-workers because she rarely understood their jokes or references and she thought this might have hurt her opportunity to advance. Accent modification she felt would improve her mobility within her company.

Some accents result from the primary language’s sound system influencing the secondary acquired language’s sound system. My clients for who English is a second language have worked in large 500 companies, corporate law firms, are fellows and graduate students at MIT and Harvard University. They have decided that they need to change their accents, in order to, fit in to their business and academic cultures.

It’s a personal decision, but accent modification is not just about changing individual sounds. It also includes instruction in non-verbal language. In China bowing is a sign of respect.  In the United States, especially if you are a woman, bowing is seen as weak and subservient.  Leaders in the US are expected to be authoritarianand always knowledgeable. In many cultures, looking down when speaking to someone in authority is a sign of respect.  In the U. S., not looking directly at someone can convey deviousness or weakness. The head of a team of co-workers must make eye contact to convey confidence. Additionally, admitting your errors in the U.S.  is often seen as weakness in the corporate environment, but in other countries errors are simply seen as something to be fixed. There are many non-verbal language differences that can impact a person’s ability to succeed in a professional setting.

In the U.S. only 30% of communication is conveyed though words, the other 70% is transmitted through non-verbal language. Accent modification works to change individual sounds, but also includes instruction in non-verbal language needed to succeed in U.S. businesses and institutions of higher education.

Similar posts
  • Supported Breathing for Speech: It’s CriticalSupported breathing for speech is not just important for communication, but for life. Yup,  try living and not breathing, just not happening. We call that state, being dead! So, yes we all know breathing is vital, but did you know that breathing affects your speech? Problems such as poor vocal quality,  reduced volume, strong accents, or [...]
  • Foreign Accents: To change or not to change…I love foreign accents.  The lyrical rhythms of different languages are beautiful to hear, but there are times when a heavy accent interferes with people’s ability to comprehend communication, that is when accent reduction/modification is beneficial.  For the professor, who speaks English as a second language, it can be frustrating to have to continually repeat what has [...]
  • Second Language Acquisition: To Learn or Not to LearnSecond language acquisition for students with language-based learning disabilities is sometimes difficult.  Logically it makes sense,  students who have trouble learning their dominant language, it’s assumed, will have trouble learning a second language. However because learning a second language can be difficult does that mean students with language-based learning disabilities should not learn one,  maybe, maybe [...]
  • Is accent reduction enough?“Why don’t people understand me? People are always telling me to repeat myself especially on the phone,” says one client. ”I don’t hear the difference between some sounds, and I have a hard time getting my ideas together when I give presentations at work,” says another. What do these clients have in common? They both [...]
  • Expressive Language Disorder or English as a Second Language“I have problems expressing my thoughts: Ever since the day I was born, I’ve always had problems expressing my thoughts and getting out what I wanted to say,” says the writer on  psychologist Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW,  blog on PsychCentral. [...]

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.