There is a debate over whether weak working memory can be improved, and whether or not some diagnosed with ADHD perhaps have weak working memory instead. What we know for sure is that there are strategies that help compensate for poor working memory. Those strategies include writing things down and chunking information, but I believe that it is always possible to help the brain make new connections by providing appropriate exercises.
- Communication Problems: Fighting Back — Did you know that last month was National Poetry Month? An amazing young client of mine is pen pals with this year’s National Youth Poet Laureate. My client also earned an honorable mention for her haiku in this year’s National poetry competition. She does not let communication challenges stop her. Amanda Gorman says, “I’ve been pen-palling [...]
- Not eligible for speech-language services — Not eligible for speech-language services “Not eligible for speech and language services!” What’s going on? Your child has been receiving speech and language services for several years or needs services. After a recent team meeting, you were informed that your child is not eligible for speech-language services. How can this be? Is this the right time [...]
- Music Instruction Develops Executive Function Skills — My daughter often doesn’t want to practice her instrument, so much of my time and effort has been spent figuring out how to get her to practice her instrument, but I do because music instruction develops executive function skills and will improve other skills like math. Yesterday I attended a yearly Martin Luther King event [...]
- Learning Styles: Are they a Myth? — We may be required to unlearn what we once thought was true about learning styles. Teachers must ditch ‘neuromyth’ of learning styles, say scientists Sunday 12 March 2017 20.01 EDTLast modified on Sunday 7 May 2017 12.28 EDT Teaching children according to their individual “learning style” does not achieve better results and should be ditched by schools in favour of [...]
- STOP the conversation! No one is listening — Where are the conversations? In politics, conversations where people have differing views are impossible. People scream at each other. No one is listening to the other side. Democrats are outraged at Republicans. Republicans push agendas in spite of the public outcries. No one is listening! How do we have conversations that move us toward healing and [...]