There is a debate over whether weak working memory can be improved, and whether or not some diagnosed with ADHD perhaps have weak working memory instead. What we know for sure is that there are strategies that help compensate for poor working memory. Those strategies include writing things down and chunking information, but I believe that it is always possible to help the brain make new connections by providing appropriate exercises.
- Asperger’s Syndrome: Context Breakdown — Context involves the setting or environment surrounding a situation. People with Asperger’s Syndrome and high-functioning autism notice details, but often fail to take context into consideration. This inability is noticeable in social situations as well as in their written work and verbal expression. [...]
- 3rd Grade Communication Goals: More than words? — 3rd-grade Communication Goals: It’s a pivotal year 3rd is a pivotal year for students so it’s important to know 3rd-grade communication goals. Students begin to go from learning to read to reading to learn. Often children who have been receiving speech and language services since preschool are weaned off services because they have a solid language foundation. [...]
- Homework Support: Who Do I Choose? — Identifying homework support isn’t always as easy as calling a math or English tutor. Sometimes finding the right type of homework support is difficult because what is needed is not just help in one subject, but support for underlying weaknesses, that impact academic learning. In order to get the right kind of help with homework, [...]
- Language vs Executive Function Skills? — Lately, I have been dealing with an insurance company and they asked me, ” Are you working on language vs executive function with your client?” I was stumped? My client has Asperger’s syndrome, so of course, I am working on both, so I wondered, “How do I answer this question?” We want to compartmentalize everything. As if one thing [...]
- Communication Problems: Fighting Back — Did you know that last month was National Poetry Month? An amazing young client of mine is pen pals with this year’s National Youth Poet Laureate. My client also earned an honorable mention for her haiku in this year’s National poetry competition. She does not let communication challenges stop her. Amanda Gorman says, “I’ve been pen-palling [...]